Sunday, January 3, 2010

Starting the year off right!

Since it is frigid outside, I have put off my outdoor activities today and instead watched "Paranormal Activity", "Inglorious Basterds" and "District 9"
I didn't love Paranormal Activity - it fell to the age old horror movie cliche where the people afflicted by said "event" are as brain dead as possible in how they deal with the issue until eventually, the horrible events foreshadowed throughout the whole film (which in this case encompasses three weeks of the characters' lives) engulfs them. I can't imagine a less educated way to deal with what was going on than the way these two handled it. It was worse than "The Blair Witch" in that regard.
Conversely, I LOVED "Inglorious Basterds". It was just freaking cool with all the great dialogue one expects from Tarantino.
What I wanted to write about though was "District 9" - what a great imagining of how it might be if extraterrestrials coasted in tomorrow. The look was great, the sci-fi was cool, the action was awesome and it had an extremely "real" feel, which all god sci-fi should have. It should seem like something just around the corner. So, I have high praise for "District 9" as well.

But for pure escapism - a group of G.I.s imagined by Quentin Tarantino with the sole purpose in life of "killin' Nazis" is hard to beat.



('DiggThis’)

No comments:

Post a Comment