Saturday, April 25, 2009

Comic Books

Anybody read any good comic books lately? Me either. That's not to say that there aren't good comics. Nor am I saying that I don't like comics. I think we all do. I mean look at the success of comic-related franchises like Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-men, etc.
So what's the deal? Comic Books used to sell millions of copies every month and that has just decreased over time.
Comics have, unfortunately clung to the old model. So the cost of comic books have gone up and up and up so now, one comic costs as much as a novel. Not many kids can afford that and not many adults are willing to. I don't know the answer. It may be that something online would be the answer. I know there has been some success with graphic novels. Personally I won't pay the bucks for comic books, but I will pick up a graphic novel ocasionally. I can get the whole story in one fell swoop and not have to wait month to month.
Have you noticed new superheroes aren't really introduced in anyway other than comics? Of course there is the rare Hancock-type movie, but Hancock doesn't become a franchise. Stuff launched in comics becomes franchises.
Comics should do something before they are really hurting. We all love the superhero stories, but maybe we need new ways to deliver them. I want to introduce new franchises, but as the comic audience continues to shrink, what's the best method?

No comments:

Post a Comment