Tuesday, April 21, 2009

BloodRayne II: Deliverance

I seem to be contributing a few reviews to the blog lately. I think it is because during vacation I watched quite a few movies.
Anyway, I watched BloodRayne II: Deliverance and I wanted to say some things about it. First of all, I went into it with reasonable expectations. BloodRayne (the first movie) was based on a video game and video game movies are not always great. Resident Evil has been pretty good as a film franchise. I liked Doom. Anyway, BloodRayne was pulled off pretty well. It was done by Uwe Boll who gets a pretty bad rap, but I like his stuff. Kind of like early Roger Corman stuff. Some of it can be a bit B-rated, but the ideas are pretty original.
This brings me to BloodRayne II. As anyone reading this GGE blog knows, cross-genre stuff is our favorite playground. BloodRayne II mixes Vampires in the Wild West. GGE's first book "The Forsaken" was a horror novel set in the wild west and is a genre we term "Western Gothic". There are not a lot of examples of Western Gothic I can point to off the top of my head. "Ravenous" was a good one. The inclusion of a Texan in Bram Stoker's Dracula (Quincy P. Morris) makes Dracula have a bit of a Western Gothic flavor. The roleplaying game Deadlands captured the genre pretty well and had a series of "dime novels" in their setting that were done pretty well. So, I think BloodRayne II is a worthy addition and definitely worth seeing. Is it a bit B-rated? Sure, but I never let that stop me from enjoying a movie. If you haven't watched a good B-rated movie lately, let me know and I can recommend a few essentials.

No comments:

Post a Comment