Sunday, January 30, 2011

Prince of Persia

Watching Prince of Persia tonight. I won't post a full review, since I did that the first time I saw it in the theater.
Suffice it to say, it is a bit of a failure, in my opinion, for Disney. As I posted the first time I watched it, I was hoping for something as cool and instantly immersive as Pirates of the Carribean. Where did they go wrong with Prince of Persia?
- The lead is no Johnny Depp (he could be an Orlando Bloom, I suppose)
- No ensemble cast. Wasn't the cast in POTC just awesome?
- The score is no where near as cool
- They didn't leave us wanting to be Persian the way POTC left us wanting to be Pirates
- The leading lady, while beautiful, is not as hot as Elizabeth Swann

I don't know what else could have been changed. Clearly it was a big budget film. The scenery is beautiful. Maybe there is too much CGI. I have found that too much reliance on CGI will not save a movie. They seemed to put a lot of faith into the time travel effects of the dagger. Could have saved some money there I think and put some more thought into good dialogue and good storytelling.

On a totally separate note, I selected Prince of Persia for tonight's viewing because it was one of the few films I owned on Blu Ray. I just bought a Blu Ray player and I am thrilled with it! Yes...I am waaaay behind the times on my home theater technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment