Monday, February 27, 2012

J Edgar

I watched J. Edgar yesterday and it was such a great movie. What surprised me was how pensive it made me feel.
One thing that was particularly interesting was that it was a true biopic covering a huge portion of J. Edgar Hoover's life.
I guess after watching a movie like that, it's hard not to consider one's own legacy.
This guy gave his life to a cause he was passionate about. Some of his techniques may have been misguided and his sexuality has always been a question, but I think what might be the saddest piece is that whether gay or straight, misguided or not, J. Edgar never seemed to find whatever it was in life he was looking for despite gaining the highest level of achievement in his chosen profession.
The movie itself has a great quote that I will paraphrase, " All to often, historian's judge the past as if it were today and thus do not apply the appropriate context".
I have read this sort of notion before and I find it to be true. After watching the movie, I refuse to judge J. Edgar, other than to feel a bit sad for him and wonder if he ever found the peace and acceptance he seemed to seek.
It's a stark reminder that an office and an income can't bring us happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment