Sunday, September 4, 2016

Stranger Things, I'm sorry, I judged you too early and I was wrong.

(Cue Bon Jovi's "I'll Be There For You" as accompaniment for this apology)

Okay, I owe a big apology to "Stranger Things". I said some not-so-positive things about it the other day, and I kinda wish I had not. I didn't really say anything negative, because I rarely go negative, but I wasn't exactly positive either. I'm not giving myself an excuse here, and that's what I want to talk about today.
So, I will say what I do like about the show. It's a fabulous homage to the 80's, Steven Spielberg, a little John Carpenter and Wes Craven and even some John Hughes (as pointed out by my astute fiance).
So it's a really good send up of a lot of those films and it does feel very familiar. I felt, initially that it was too predictable. There was a bit of a flame war that I was mistaking familiarity for predictability, and in the end, I concede. It was a bit predictable, but kind of in the ways you want it to be.
So I rarely poop on another artist's work, and The Duffer Brothers are even from right here in NC. So I am correcting myself. Just because I saw a couple of twists coming, doesn't mean I didn't like it. One doesn't watch a Star Wars movie without kind of knowing where it's going to go (the bad guys where black, for goodness sake). So I gave myself a stern talking to, looked at the show with fresh eyes and allowed myself to be swept away for the ride.
It was like visiting an old friend, or going back to your favorite amusement park from when you were a kid. The production value was high, the ending was exceptional and there will be more to come.

I will be right there watching it when Stranger Things returns for Season 2 in 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment