Sunday, December 11, 2011

GGE Publishing

For my 400th post, I should probably make an announcement. This sounds a little lukewarm I realize, but that is because the plans are still crystallizing, but I can say with a high degree of assurance that 2012 looks like the year GGE will move into publishing it's own stuff.
I have a couple of titles identified so we'll see how this goes. Why would we do this and not just continue selling our stories to others?
Here are my reasons:

  1. I am not always satisfied with what others put out. In fact, while I like a lot of stuff a little bit, there are only a few things that I like a lot. I would like to publish stuff I like a lot.
  2. Having sold a couple of books now, I cannot believe how long it takes from sale to publication. I'm not judging publishers for this, I just feel like it can be done quicker. Maybe companies bite off more than they can chew? GGE is not built to have to make a fortune, just to generate art, so I don't need to sign 100 artists hoping to generate profit from 5 of them. I can just sign the 5 I think are great. I can then focus my promotional efforts. Maybe the public will agree with my assessment of what "great" looks like. If not then we can keep trying.
So, stay tuned for more on this. Of course, this represents a higher degree of financial investment and the first step will be a much needed revamp of the GGE website. 

I am really thrilled by this notion. It's daunting, of course, if not downright terrifying, but most things worth doing are.

No comments:

Post a Comment