Anyway, I think one of the great things about The Original Series (TOS) was how each story was metaphorical or based on some social commentary. Some of these themes were even timeless, but we loved seeing Kirk, Spock and McCoy tackle them each week.
What are some good themes to base stories on?
- Racism is bad and dangerous.
- Unregulated Medical experimentation is bad
- There is no shortcut to beauty
- Beauty is only skin deep
- Bad guys are often misunderstood
- Power corrupts
- Even a luxurious prison is still a prison
- Lands can be conquered by force, but ideas cannot
- People need other people
- Even a well-intentioned corrupt government is not a good thing
- Immortality is unachievable and sometimes dangerous to chase
- Exploration and travel is a good way to learn how to accept others
- People should be given a second chance, but sometimes not a third
- Sometimes people change
- Sometimes people give the appearance of change, but are still just as rotten
- Vengeance is not healthy
- Sometimes we define ourselves by who our enemies are and we'll do anything to make sure they stay enemies